Week of March 24

trkyburns, ryanwhit, goblr77, MVest
trkyburns
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Week of March 24

Post by trkyburns » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey guys, any of you GA boys do any good this morning? I had a big bird at 30 yards but didn't shoot! :cry:

I actually had two chances at two different times to pull the trigger but I decided to play it safe. The first time there were two birds, a jake and a tom, and I never could tell which was which because they were in a tall hay field and all I could see was from the neck up. I didn't want to mess up and shoot the jake, especially on opening morning. Second time, there just wasn't a clear shot through the thick stuff. I'm kind of kicking myself for not shooting, but that's part of it and what keeps me going back!

I'll be back after them Monday at a different spot and hopefully several times next week.
"... a thing is true at first light and a lie by noon..." - Hemingway

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Re: Week of March 24

Post by Grant » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:32 am

Didn't get one yesterday... we will see what happens this morning tho

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

MVest
I mostly hunt turkey in: TN & IN
While hunting I carry: Calls
870 Super Mag
Ol' Tom I-Beam vest
Baby wipes
Mountain Dew

Post by MVest » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Season here in TN starts Saturday. Went and scouted the farm today. I made it 30yds from my car, stood behind a fencepost, and watched them for 20 minutes. 1 strutter, 8 other unidentified birds. Looked like i saw 3 of the others go half strut, not sure. They were 30 yds from my favorite spot. I cant wait, just 5 more days 8-)
"A bad day of hunting is always better than a good day of work"

"There are hunters, and there are turkey hunters. I am a turkey hunter!"

goblr77
While hunting I carry: A lot

Post by goblr77 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Smoked a pretty good one this afternoon. I will put him up tomorrow. It was a flash hunt. Sat down at 6:15 and gave three series of yelps. He came on a string and hit the dirt at 6:30. My brother took a vid on his cell phone of the bird coming in.

18 lbs 8 oz
10.75" beard
1.125" spurs
Joshua 24:15

trkyburns
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Post by trkyburns » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics.

I just knew I was going to score this morning. Had 6 birds with red heads coming through the thick woods right to me on a rope. My heart sank when, one by one, each bird stepped out into the open sporting a tiny nub of a beard. :( Man they gobbled like big boys, but I never even took my safety off. Gonna hit some public ground in the morning.

goblr77

Post by goblr77 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Good luck in the morning.

ryanwhit
While hunting I carry: Hopefully a turkey

Post by ryanwhit » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Nice work 77!! that's a good bird! I haven't been to the woods since me and Kevin went. I came home and got sick, then the rest of the fam got sick. a 5 month old and a 22 month old sick at the same time is not fun!! Gonna be back at it later in the week though...I got some catching up to do!
"All turkey hunters I know use dirty words regularly - sometimes to one another." - Tom Kelly

goblr77

Post by goblr77 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Ryan I feel for you man. It's not fun having a house full of sick folks. I went this afternoon again with my brother and it was his turn to pull the trigger. He shot a helluva bird heading back to the roost. 11-1/8" beard and 1-5/16" spurs. That bird would have helped us out in the contest big time. He's taken two birds this season and is becoming a good turkey hunter. I'm proud of him.

Grant
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:10 pm

ryanwhit wrote:Nice work 77!! that's a good bird! I haven't been to the woods since me and Kevin went. I came home and got sick, then the rest of the fam got sick. a 5 month old and a 22 month old sick at the same time is not fun!! Gonna be back at it later in the week though...I got some catching up to do!
Hope the family gets well... holler at me and we'll go roam the MTNs...
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

trkyburns

Post by trkyburns » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am

goblr77 wrote:Ryan I feel for you man. It's not fun having a house full of sick folks. I went this afternoon again with my brother and it was his turn to pull the trigger. He shot a helluva bird heading back to the roost. 11-1/8" beard and 1-5/16" spurs. That bird would have helped us out in the contest big time. He's taken two birds this season and is becoming a good turkey hunter. I'm proud of him.
That is an awesome bird! Congrats to you and your brother. Tell him to save the next really big one for you so it can be your 3rd challenge entry. You boys are on some birds down there in SW GA!

I went for a little while yesterday afternoon and for the 3rd hunt in a row now (different places too) I had jakes on me. Glad the jakes are there and that they seem to like me. The frustrating thing is I saw a lot of jakes last year too, but no two year olds to be found this year...? I'll be back at 'em in the morning.

Return to “8 - Captains of Hook”