who's having good luck?

Damoutdoors, Clark5588, Brock Herrington, Birdbrains
Brock Herrington
I mostly hunt turkey in: Northwest Florida

who's having good luck?

Post by Brock Herrington » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I almost had birds today and yesterday. Yesterday me and dad had a bird comitted 110% and then a hen came a took him the opposite direction from us. when he went silent we started walkin and lookin for a good spot to set up again, walked right into him and that hen. Then this morning I got in the woods about 5:30, got set up. 2 birds gobbled within a 100 yards of me. Hen pitches down at 30 yards, and hangs around a little bit. Then they pitch out in my direction. Had them workin to me, could hear them drumming. And of all things I hear splashin in a mudhole and its a little nissan rollin up there. Wave my hat at him, just about stand up....drives right by. Just a few minutes later they both gobble again and this time theyre 150-200 yards. And they actually started gobbling good again for about 5 minutes and then wouldnt you know, hear a splashin in the mudhole again. Little toyota comes rollin up. At this point I'm red in the face, and the birds didnt gobble for another hour and had covered alot of distance. The sorry thing about the whole situation, both trucks went in the woods for maybe 15-20 minutes before turning around and coming out. I had what seemed to be a perfect situation unfolding and had it taken away so they could stay in the woods for 15 minutes. Public land shananigans i guess is the best way to put it, ohh well.
" Clear Eyes Full Hearts Cant Lose"

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Re: who's having good luck?

Post by Grant » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm

I feel your pain!

Sent from tapatalk while on the move!
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Brock Herrington

who's having good luck?

Post by Brock Herrington » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Yeah man, don't get me wrong I love the land I hunt. Out of the 13 mornings I've hunted it this year ive only had 2 mornings where I couldn't even find a bird. You just wish he would've driven by on any other morning.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3t3kek

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Post by Ross » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Been tough for me this year too. I have a 3yo boy and a 8mnth girl that is my full time job on my off days from the FD. I am getting out into the woods here and there in the evenings but seeing alot of Jake's and hens. Hopefully I can pull some big toms in.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Brock Herrington

Post by Brock Herrington » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 pm

yessir your allegiances are other than turkey hunting with those youngins around. when does ga season wrap up?

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Brock Herrington wrote:yessir your allegiances are other than turkey hunting with those youngins around. when does ga season wrap up?
May 15 in GA Brock....I am headed down your way again next week looking to tag out in Florida. I paid for the expensive license so I should take advantage of it ;)

I know the kinda year your having....been there dun that as they say. Fortunately I have been blessed this season with 3 so far. Stick with it....it could turn anytime!!
Colossians 3:17

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Post by Ross » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:13 am

Im confident that i will get some this year. Just takes a little more patients now. My friend Bill doubled this morning on a couple Cherokee Co birds. Its killin me:-)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Brock Herrington

who's having good luck?

Post by Brock Herrington » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 pm

I might have to get a ga license this year, not gonna be ready to quit when fla stops. Had a odd hunt again this morning. Hear a bird on the roost, thought I pinned him down pretty good. Go chase him and he didn't gobble for a good 30 minutes. I was walkin and calling every 100 yards or so trying to strike him but he never did. So I turned around to hit another ridge and he gobbles right where I just was. Go back in after him, hear another gobble and it sounds further away than I expected. Move a couple hundred yards up and the bird gobbles right back where I was a minute ago. Get up and go back, cup my hands and on my third note of a yelpl sequence a guy shoots probably 60 from me. That dang bird turned me around in circles all morning, felt like I was hosting a ameuater hour. Not sure why the bird picked him over me, I must have sounded like a rookie.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?11kqce

clark5588
I mostly hunt turkey in: mostly hunt georgia, all
While hunting I carry: camo 870 remington / hevi shot, slat pot, glass pot, alum pot, gobble tube, thermal cell, decoys, toliet paper

Post by clark5588 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:41 pm

hey guys, brock i've chased some birds in circles myself. it least your hearding birds gobble up close. i'm also hunting open land and a gobble a few hundred yards off is a gift. my hunting partner went tues am, we've had some really hot weeks this year, when the temps got down in the low 40s. temps must have turn them on, he heard several birds gobble on the roost. took the closest bird about 45 min after fly down. about an hour later setup and had a jake and hen come. move and setup again, same thing, jake and hens come. all different birds. had to be young hens along with jakes, hens don't know what to do and jakes don't have a clue. hens are on the nest, poults are coming soon and gobblers are wore out.
this wma hunting is tuff, learned to keep the calling low and slow.
hang in there, things will turn around ( not talking about you chasing the birds either )
Just another day in paradise. Live each day.

Return to “15 - Full Strut”