Scoring a deer

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Scoring a deer

Post by sman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:27 pm

I am kicking myself. The 8 I killed last yr is scoring 127 gross. Just making sure I'm doing this right. Spread 15.5. Main beams 22 and 23.5. Gs on one side are 17.25 , the other 19.25. 4 mass readings from each side are identical at 14.75 each.

So 15.5 + 22+ 23.5+ 17.25 + 19.25 + 14.75 + 14.75= 127

Should've mounted his butt! We had him aged at 5.5.
What? What?

Rob-HC Hunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: Tennessee
While hunting I carry: Benelli Super Vinci, full compliment of calls, Avian hen decoy

Re: Scoring a deer

Post by Rob-HC Hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Sounds like a solid 8 point. You should post a picture.

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 pm

Sounds like you did it right. One thing people forget when measuring antlers is always take the smallest circumference on the mass measurement, not the largest.
That is a great deer. An eight scoring that is SOLID.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

sman

Post by sman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 pm

Rob-HC Hunter wrote:Sounds like a solid 8 point. You should post a picture.
He's in last yrs kill thread. New phone no pics of him on it. He weighed 235. I'll see if I can find it.
What? What?

sman

Post by sman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 pm

STEROIDCHICKEN wrote:Sounds like you did it right. One thing people forget when measuring antlers is always take the smallest circumference on the mass measurement, not the largest.
I Google d how to score one after the post cause I thought I was doing something wrong. I scored him again and got 126 and some change.

I scored a bunch of racks just goofing off. He was the highest typical, with a 130 kicker G2 10 taking 2nd.

Mistake I use to make was taking 5 mass measurements on a 10. I didn't know any better.

Roger is the last mass measurement suppose to be halfway from the last tines and the tip on an 8?
What? What?

Toddmann
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am

I got this app on my phone. It only lets u put in whole #'s but the process is there. That was a great buck u shot. Hope to get mine back soon. Frog called a few weeks ago to discuss mounting it.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-01-11-18-45.png

BPowell
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA, KY, and AL
While hunting I carry: Woodhaven and Tom Teasers glass/slate and diaphragm calls, decoys, extra Hevi-13 #6 shells, and the Benelli Vinci!

Post by BPowell » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:29 am

Sounds like you did everything right. That's a good score for only an 8 pt!

STEROIDCHICKEN
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:14 pm

sman wrote:
STEROIDCHICKEN wrote:Sounds like you did it right. One thing people forget when measuring antlers is always take the smallest circumference on the mass measurement, not the largest.
I Google d how to score one after the post cause I thought I was doing something wrong. I scored him again and got 126 and some change.

I scored a bunch of racks just goofing off. He was the highest typical, with a 130 kicker G2 10 taking 2nd.

Mistake I use to make was taking 5 mass measurements on a 10. I didn't know any better.

Roger is the last mass measurement suppose to be halfway from the last tines and the tip on an 8?
Yes. Normally where the G4 would grow is where I usually measure from.
We had some fellas at camp that would measure 5 spots on a ten as well. It took me a while to convince them that only 4 circumference was the correct way. Some would even measure tine length from the tip to the bottom of the main beam.
Congrats again on a great 8.

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Scoring a deer

Post by Ross » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Cape out another buck then
have it mounted? Just a thought .

Sent From My Talky Box

STEROIDCHICKEN

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Ross wrote:Cape out another buck then
have it mounted? Just a thought .

Sent From My Talky Box
Yup. It is definitely worth a mount. Most taxidermist have extra capes that they sell for this reason.

Return to “Deer Hunting”