What do you plant and when?

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

What do you plant and when?

Post by sman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:49 pm

Just curious. Our plots are ready for seed. Lyme and fertilizer has been applied.

We will start Monday. That will be the earliest I've ever put seed in the ground.

We are doing buck forage oats with winter peas and crimson clover.

Years ago I experimented with a big plot. Planted garden variety peas, straight wheat, straight oats, a small clover strip, and a mix.

Deer tore the peas down. The clover got the next most love. Finally the mix of oats, clover, winter peas.
What? What?

sman

Re: What do you plant and when?

Post by sman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Has anyone in GA had luck with Rape or turnips? I had a plot that we could've took to market one year and made a small living. Deer never touched it. It was cold. I didn't fertilize it due to being planted in an old hog lot.
What? What?

Toddmann
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:59 am

The farmer that plants my farm planted Soybeans for the 1st time ever. :shock: . Yes it's true deer really like soybeans. I did plant rape one year but the deer never touched it even after several frost. Fertilizer is the key. If your not gonna fertilize it you almost might as well not plant. I use to hunt with a farmer years ago who had a 5 acre food plot of wheat right on the river. Every afternoon at dark the deer piled into it. We were talking about that food plot one day and I was telling him how the deer just seem to love his food plots and how mine seem to have very little activity. He asked me, " how much fertilizer do u put on your food plots". I said none. He said, " That's why you have none deer in your food plots." :lol: . It is expensive to plant food plots that really attract deer. Good thing money is no issue for you Scott. ;)

sman

Post by sman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:46 am

We didn't fertilize last year. You could tell. Neighbors did and their plots had tons of activity.

Sales have been out the roof lately. I will probably double sales from last year. Extra funds are being applied for mental relief at the hunting club.
What? What?

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 pm

We actually start putting seed in the ground Labor Day weekend. Prior to that, we have already bush-hogged, sprayed and turned the ground under. We start back with turning the ground and planting. I have been planting Biologic Full draw ever since it has been out and have tremendous success with it. We put a base of rackmaster fall deluxe blend down and then top it with the full draw. I have pics of deer with their mouths so full that brassicas are hanging out both sides. They nibble it until first frost and then really tear into it. Biologic came out with another blend last year called deer-radish and it is sweet when it comes up. Tried it last year and the deer loved it.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:20 pm

I use to use 13-13-13 but for the past couple of years I have been using 19-19-19. It requires less per acre. The triple 13 requires 300lb per acre where the triple 19 requires 150 per acre.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Around this time of year when it starts to drop below 90 and we get more rains, we used to plant Ladino Clover along powerlines and the small plots at my old lease. Deer and turkeys wore 'em out. We also had soil samples analyzed at the agricultural extension office to get the balance right. The right pH & fertilizer made a huge difference in plot production. It was a constant battle with weeds though. One year we bumped one of the smaller existing plots with a little 13-13-13 and it burned the clover. We used a liquid fertilizer after that.

We built 4' square wire cages to cover small sections of clover from time to time just to see how much the deer, turkeys, & rabbits ate down the surrounding clover They were hitting that stuff like a mower. We had one plot where the original planting of clover lasted 3 years before the weeds won.

We also tried planting Turnips and Rape and the deer barely touched it. There's some big patches of honeysuckle around that farm and the deer would walk through the Turnips & Rape to get to the honeysuckle without slowing down to take a bite.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Return to “Deer Hunting”