2015 Deer Kill Thread

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

2015 Deer Kill Thread

Post by sman » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:25 pm

If you get one, post him/her up and give us a little story to read about the hunt if you don't mind. March is getting closer...but I think many of us enjoy a cool crisp November morning as well.

Good luck guys!
What? What?

goblr77
While hunting I carry: A lot

Re: 2015 Deer Kill Thread

Post by goblr77 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 am

The owner of the lease I'd been hunting on the last several seasons decided to sell the property this summer so I had to scramble and find a new place to hunt. I was fortunate enough to be granted permission to hunt a good tract within 15 minutes of my home. I mowed all the roads on the place several weeks ago and noticed an old home-made loc-on stand in a tall red oak overlooking some thick planted pines with hardwoods and a swamp behind it. It's on a hill and just looked like a natural place for deer to travel through. I put out some corn and a camera on a trail and went back to check it a week later. There were several nice full-velvet bucks on camera, the most mature one, who also showed up the most, appeared to be an older 7 point. There were two 3.5-4.5 year old bucks that would score in the 125-135 range, one being an 8 and the other a 10 that were showing up occasionally as well. I decided to try and use the existing stand so I checked the ladder, screwed in a couple more tree steps and secured the stand with new ratchet straps and replaced the seat. After cutting a few limbs for shooting lanes, I let everything sit for a week. I returned to hunt on Saturday morning, Sept 19. Around 8:00 I heard what sounded like a herd of cows coming through the woods and knew exactly what was about to show up. A group of a dozen or so hogs showed up and I shot the largest sow at 25 yards. She fell within sight and the others just stood there. I picked the second largest one and shot it as well. I sat in the stand until 9:45 when two coyotes came down the road and picked up on the largest hog's blood trail. The coyotes proceeded to eating the hog, ripping into it's ham. That was enough commotion for one morning so I called it a day and headed home. I decided to hunt the following Monday afternoon after work. Right before dark, a lone doe came down the trail and started feeding within bow range. When she decided to head into the pines, she looked up and pointed like a bird dog. The full-velvet 10 point I got the pics of was standing there with another 8 that had already rubbed his velvet off. The buck presented me with a walking shot at 35 yards and I hesitated for some reason and didn't take it. I felt sure he was circling around to feed behind me, and he did, but he took his sweet time and didn't come where I wanted him to until it was pitch black dark. I let him feed and walk off in the darkness before I got down. I came back the next afternoon and a thunderstorm killed the hunt. Wednesday, the 23rd, I came back again. Everything was uneventful until 15 minutes before dark. I heard two deer walking behind me in the hardwoods, about to come out on a trial leading into the pines. They stayed back there feeding for several minutes and all I could see were legs. I finally noticed one was a decent 8 pt with velvet hanging off his rack. All of a sudden the other deer took a straight path and came out in the road directly under my stand. It was the biggest bodied deer I had a pic of, the 7 pt. I grunted to stop him and center punched him at 16 yards. He ran into the swamp and I heard him crash. I was glad to get him.
Attachments
IMG_1762.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1792.jpg
Joshua 24:15

sman
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Awesome story! That's a brute of a 7pt! I'm surprised he still has velvet! Congrats!
What? What?

Toddmann
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Looks like this new tract of land is gonna work out for u :lol: . Congrats on those great hunts. That's an awesome velvet buck.

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Post by ylpnfol » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:56 pm

Nice shootn....nice velvet buck!!
You never know, unless you go

David

gut_pile
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Weatherby SA08 20ga, Buice Trumpet, Rut n Strut Calls

Post by gut_pile » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Way to go Myles!
Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

goblr77
While hunting I carry: A lot

Post by goblr77 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:38 am

sman wrote:Awesome story! That's a brute of a 7pt! I'm surprised he still has velvet! Congrats!
Several more days and he wouldn't be in velvet. Every buck I had on camera rubbed theirs off within 3 days after I shot this one.
Joshua 24:15

timbrhuntr
I mostly hunt turkey in: Anywhere I can !
While hunting I carry: Everything I can !

Post by timbrhuntr » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:57 am

Congrats on the new property buck and in velvet too. I always wanted a velvet buck but our seasons starts today and they are already out. Well done !

trkyburns
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Post by trkyburns » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Great story man. Congrats on the new place and the nice buck! Love to see some trail cam pics!
"... a thing is true at first light and a lie by noon..." - Hemingway

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Post by ylpnfol » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Sunday hunting in Va. is a fairly recent thing, I got a small buck with my bow on a Sunday afternoon last year, yesterday was a beautiful day, I went to one of my favorite spots, there are two trees I like to climb there, I picked the right one, the squirrels were very busy, eating beech nuts and trying to get a little, if you know what I'm saying, at 4:30 I heard what I thought was deer behind me, I got ready, and out walk two beautiful longbeards, at first they sort of turned to come my way, but turned and went to the soybean field, I watched them pick beans for awhile til they disappeared, big ole birds....I got my phone out to check the time, 5:34, I heard something, I looked over my left shoulder, and there he was, 15 yards away, I couldn't get the damn phone back in the little bag attached to the treestand, I got it in my pocket, stood up got bow off of holder, all while he was within 15-20 yds, thank goodness for the leaves, he stepped out broadside at 20, I hit him a little back, but the angle was such that it cut his heart, he ran out to the field bedded down and died....i got to drive right to him. Best buck, by far, with my bow
Attachments
image.jpeg
You never know, unless you go

David

Return to “Deer Hunting”