Thanks guys!

Grant, antnye, Combinea'comin, goblr77
Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Thanks guys!

Post by Grant » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Howdy Final Strut!

I've only done a couple of turkey hunting contests now. Last year I had the opportunity hunt with my teammate, Jim. I'd never met Jim before and the contest presented the opportunity to meet and hunt with new individuals. Through Jim, I also met his son Ryan who is one of my favorite hunting partners of all time. I hate I didn't get to hunt with them this year in NM, but a last minute job change left me deprived of all my vacation time.

Going in to this year, I wanted to use this opportunity to connect with even more friends. The strategy was simple. Look at last years score card, identify some good scoring hunters and hit them up. David, Anthony and I formed that way. Then there was the draw where Myles joined our team, which I was excited about because I was able to meet him in Nashville at the convention. With a few emails back and forth, Final Strut was born!

I felt good about my team. I'd never met Anthony, but we decided to hook up in AL due to our proximity to one another. We got right into the birds, found some new hot spots, but didn't come away with any. I think next year will be a different story in AL for us. Anthony, I enjoyed our early morning trips to AL. I hunt so much by myself, its nice to have a friend come along. I'm sorry I lost your striker, but hopefully I gave you enough strikers to replace that one. I just didn't want to get blamed for another "turkey wing" incident.

Miles, I enjoyed meeting you in Nashville. I also enjoyed watching your videos this year. But most of all, seeing your daughter hunt with you really added to the excitement in thinking about hunting with my girls in a few years. I love my girls like crazy, and I look forward to the day they want to tag along with daddy. We need to get up a hunt next year in S. GA!

David, one of GSN's big bird killa's! I knew from the start that you'd be a heavy hitter, and one that would help bring the team to the top. We haven't had the opportunity to meet in person, but I'd LOVE to make it up and hunt some of your country. Its a beautify place!

This year was tough for a lot of folks, but you guys produced. I'm not sure I pulled as much as I think I should have, so I'm sorry about that. I really had an internal struggle to overcome. I had 3 chances to kill that I blew. I failed to pull the trigger in AL with Kyle, a bird caught me moving with Ross, and I missed a spot and stalk bird in the rain. I had a handful of birds that I worked. I had the typical public land struggle with hunters on top of me, but the biggest challenge came when I knew I needed to squeeze out a bird for the team, but I opted to put Katie on a bird. I put her on one at 30 yards, but she missed, which was easy to do considering how the hunt unfolded.

I've learned this year how hard it is to get away with a wife and two kids at home. For those that are just married or not married at all, enjoy the opportunity that it affords to get out and hunt without the pressure to get back home and help out with the family. It gets tough.

So in the end, I almost got too competitive this year, which threatened to spoil the hunting for me. But when thinking back, just participating in the contest brings me more than contest prizes or bragging rights can bring when I think about the friendships that have been made. I'm not saying that I don't want to win, but I am saying that I enjoy the hunting experience and friendships much more. Next year, while I would love to run with Final Strut again, I will probably regroup with another team and form even more friendships. BUT - I'll be hunting with this years guys and Park their birds the first chance I get. :D

Congratulations, Final Strut, on placing in the top. We did really well in this group of killas on GSN. Any team could have done it. I think every team had opportunities to kill that were missed, and we had TONS of spurs that were 1/8th short. Really, it was up for grabs.

Cheers!
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

goblr77
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: A lot

Re: Thanks guys!

Post by goblr77 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:35 pm

I enjoyed the opportunity to be on this team. We had a great group of hunters and made a run at this thing. Grant, you said a mouthful when you were talking about getting too competitive. I've struggled with that a lot the past couple seasons and found myself losing focus on what's important. I had a conversation with a fellow GSN member a couple weeks ago and he helped me change my outlook on the situation. Just go hunt and have fun. Whatever happens, happens. Things will fall into place like they need to. As you mentioned, the best part of the contest is to meet new friends you never would have known without taking part in it. The contest is a great tool as long as participants keep the right perspective. See you next year gents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Joshua 24:15

sman
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Mon May 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Don't mean to invade this thread. ...

But you guys did great! Congrats!

sent from my obama phone.
What? What?

antnye
I mostly hunt turkey in: NGeorgia

Post by antnye » Mon May 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Had a great time exchanging texts and stories with you guys. Y'all are top notch turkey slayers. Everyone hunted hard in some adverse conditions. Probably the wettest season I've seen. Placing and prizes are nice but I enjoy getting to know other people as crazy about turkeys as I. That's what I love about these challenges.

We found some nice spots in Al. Grant. Haven't heard that many different birds or seen that much sign very many times. Maybe it'll produce next year. I felt bad taking your strikers, I could tell you we're upset loosing mine. On a good note at least we found your decoy :lol:

Grant

Post by Grant » Mon May 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Hahaha... i can loose anything

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

sman

Post by sman » Mon May 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Invading some more....

Grant you lost your strikers? And your decoy?

Sorry just sounds like a good story. Do tell.

What? What?

Grant

Post by Grant » Mon May 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Well... i left my strikers at home and borrowed one from anthony. Lost it. Fell out of my pocket when sitting down... didnt luz my decoy but couldnt find the bag. We backtracked, but it was in my vest the whole time...

Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

sman

Post by sman » Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Grant wrote:Well... i left my strikers at home and borrowed one from anthony. Lost it. Fell out of my pocket when sitting down... didnt luz my decoy but couldnt find the bag. We backtracked, but it was in my vest the whole time...

To funny. Sucks getting old.

What? What?

antnye
I mostly hunt turkey in: NGeorgia

Post by antnye » Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 am

sman wrote:
Grant wrote:Well... i left my strikers at home and borrowed one from anthony. Lost it. Fell out of my pocket when sitting down... didnt luz my decoy but couldnt find the bag. We backtracked, but it was in my vest the whole time...

To funny. Sucks getting old.

We combed the ridge side looking for Grants decoy bag. Made it back to our first set up and I see it in the back of his vest. :lol:

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 am

Seems like I have heard that "I lost it" tune before....hmmm :lol:

We could be dealing with a sticky fingers here :D
Colossians 3:17

Return to “4 - Final Strut”