Locator Calls

Toddmann
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Re: Locator Calls

Post by Toddmann » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:15 am

In Nebraska my buddy just pulls up in to a spot on his club turns off his truck then gets out with window down. Then he shuts the door. Then he does a natural voice owl hoot and nothing. Then he reaches into his truck thru the window & lays down on the horn. Gobbbbleeee all around the area we are in. He's like this ought to be a good spot. :D

ICDEDTURKES
I mostly hunt turkey in: Michigan
While hunting I carry: Couple mouth calls a couple pots tube and trumpet

Post by ICDEDTURKES » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I of course run both the Hooks crow and Harrison Hoot N Stick.. In a crow I do not want to perfectly replicate a crow I want to be louder and a fuzz higher pitched.. I went through a bunch of crow calls before I found one that is really reliable, I was hesitant to give it up when I received my Hooks but found it to be similar in pitch and volume and works as well.

As for the Hoot N Stick, last year we opened up one of the exhaust holes just a fuzz which made it a little louder.. It also made it a little easier for me to get separation in the laugh.. Too much jacking around with it to make it louder and you sacrifice the natural tones of the owl.. I find it surprising how well the Hoot N Stick carries on a calm morning..

There is a video on Youtube of James running the stick and there will be a more in depth one coming after the convention.
If turkey message boards have taught me one thing, it is everybody's turkeys are harder to kill than everybody else's

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaff

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Is there a crow call that actually sounds like a crow but will still make a bird gobble? Everyone I've heard is high pitched. I believe it is the worst sound I hear from March to May. Especially on public land. It screams I'm new at this and just watched the Outdoor Channel last night and this is what they were doing.

sent from my obama phone.
What? What?

priverleadslinger
I mostly hunt turkey in: AL
While hunting I carry: Gun and ammo

Post by priverleadslinger » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Has anyone tried the down n dirty "The Heckler" crow call? If so, what do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Post by Ross » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 am

I have one and it's about par with other crow calls. The reed sticks sometimes which seems fairly common with my crow calls. That call is not bad nor great IMO. On the other hand, I wish I could give you a better choice for purchasing a crow call but I can't . Can't remember who it was on here, but they were looking for an "all wood" crow call. That's somthing I would like to try. Only down side to that is the possibility of volume loss and consequencely, no shock gobbles. I have always heard, the louder and more obnoxious the crow call, the better !

DMP
I mostly hunt turkey in: South Carolina
While hunting I carry: 835

Post by DMP » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:02 pm

I use a owl call, crow call, sharp cuts on a long box and a goose call. All have worked.

May just be where I hunt, but I have had good success with owl calls from mid morning to lunch.

A few years ago I was hunting a club one morning with little success. Around 10:00 with not hearing a thing I pulled out the owl call. Two hoots later and a tom was gobbling. He died an hr later. Got back to my truck and another club member pulled up to talk. He goes on about how he didn't hear anything all morning but did hear some idiot hooting on a owl call mid morning. :mrgreen: I then let him know who the idiot was and showed him the idiot tom that responded to the idiot owl that was hooting during mid morning. He couldn't believe it. :lol:

I have video footage of owls hooting around lunch time and have witnessed it many more times. Maybe its just the area I hunt.

jmessinger1

Post by jmessinger1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 pm

I make a Owl Hoot'er Locator Call in a 50 Bmg Cartridge and also make a Hen Cartridge Call in Cartridges from 223 up to the 50 Bmg.
uploadfromtaptalk1427648889408.jpg
4-leadcalls.com

Return to “Locator Calls”