Re: Maxus or A5?

Post by uplandrules » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:48 am

A5

Racer1
I mostly hunt turkey in: Kentucky
While hunting I carry: 835, slate

Post by Racer1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:23 pm

I shot a Maxus last Saturday and it shot great but it will knock the crap out of you on the turkey loads! Very well balanced and lighter than the VersaMax and SX3 (also shot Saturday). Good gun but personally liked the VM and SX3 better. Never shot the A5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark K
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Post by Mark K » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 am

I've never bought a gun based on opinion, especially a shotgun. I buy a gun that fits. I'm partial to Benelli's because when I throw that gun to my cheek (with my eyes closed) it hits my shoulder just perfect and once I open my eyes, they are lined up with the beads. No adjustment needed!!

Treerooster
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Central USA
While hunting I carry: As much knowledge about the bird as I can fit in my thick skull.

Post by Treerooster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:34 am

Mark K wrote:I've never bought a gun based on opinion, especially a shotgun. I buy a gun that fits. I'm partial to Benelli's because when I throw that gun to my cheek (with my eyes closed) it hits my shoulder just perfect and once I open my eyes, they are lined up with the beads. No adjustment needed!!
I agree with this for the most part. Fit is most important for me at least in wing shooting, turkey guns are aimed so fit is not that big of a deal. One reason I like Benellis because they come with shims to adjust the stock. Most factory guns do not fit me well as I am left handed and also need a high stock (low drop at comb) for some reason.

I think how a gun handles is also important. For waterfowl and dove I want a heavier gun that follows through better. For upland wing shooting I want a well balanced gun that comes up quick.
Savor the dawn

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Mark K wrote:I've never bought a gun based on opinion, especially a shotgun. I buy a gun that fits. I'm partial to Benelli's because when I throw that gun to my cheek (with my eyes closed) it hits my shoulder just perfect and once I open my eyes, they are lined up with the beads. No adjustment needed!!
I bought my upland gun this way. Amazing how how a vest and gear can throw off the adjustment too.

For turkey, I'm less concerned about fit personally, as long as it's not uncomfortable. It seems I'm never in an ideal shooting position when when turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Mark K
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Post by Mark K » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 am

He stated it was used for upland game and ducks.

As far as a turkey gun, as long as it patterns well then it doesn't matter. I'm not quite rich enough to have just a dedicated turkey gun so my gun is used for everything.

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 am

Mark K wrote:He stated it was used for upland game and ducks.

As far as a turkey gun, as long as it patterns well then it doesn't matter. I'm not quite rich enough to have just a dedicated turkey gun so my gun is used for everything.
Good point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

artjr338wm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Indiana
While hunting I carry: 1 slate call, 2 glass calls, 4 strikers, one paddle call, 1 push button call, and 1 owl hooter, compass, map, extra shells, food, water and flash light.

Post by artjr338wm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:55 pm

FWIW Gun Tests magazine reviewed the Maxus and described it as being quite possibly the BEST shotgun Browning has EVER made. Rated it above the SBE-II. In short their panel of testers gave the maxus an A+ review and said simply put there is not a better made, better functioning semi auto shotgun FOR HUNTING than the Browning Maxus. If I were to be willing to spend over 1K on a shotgun (I'm not) without doubt 100% I would buy the Maxus.

sman
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:52 pm

artjr338wm wrote:FWIW Gun Tests magazine reviewed the Maxus and described it as being quite possibly the BEST shotgun Browning has EVER made. Rated it above the SBE-II. In short their panel of testers gave the maxus an A+ review and said simply put there is not a better made, better functioning semi auto shotgun FOR HUNTING than the Browning Maxus. If I were to be willing to spend over 1K on a shotgun (I'm not) without doubt 100% I would buy the Maxus.
I did for the first and hopefully last time in my life. Got the Maxus and love it! Agree 100% with the magazine. It is a pleasure to shoot.

Wish I was hunting.
What? What?

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:47 pm

artjr338wm wrote:FWIW Gun Tests magazine reviewed the Maxus and described it as being quite possibly the BEST shotgun Browning has EVER made. Rated it above the SBE-II. In short their panel of testers gave the maxus an A+ review and said simply put there is not a better made, better functioning semi auto shotgun FOR HUNTING than the Browning Maxus. If I were to be willing to spend over 1K on a shotgun (I'm not) without doubt 100% I would buy the Maxus.
Thanks for the info....I am still in the market for one. Maybe this summer I will make it happen.

Thanks again and welcome aboard!!
Colossians 3:17

Return to “12 Gauge Shotguns”