Are You Ready?

datrip
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Calls, gun, shells, thermacell, tp...all I need.

Are You Ready?

Post by datrip » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Well are my Carolina bros ready for the season to start as I am? Anyone hunting next week during youth season. Going to do some "last time" scouting this weekend as it is suppose to be really nice and getting warmer. Looking ahead though in the long range forecast for the 13th they are calling for a 60% of rain for my neck of the woods. Do pray that will not be the case.

Are you ready?
Whatever is over my head is under HIS feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2006.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Twitter - daryltriplett

BgDadyBeardBustr
While hunting I carry: Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 Gauge, PSE Dream Season EVO and my Daughter with her Remington 11-87 20 Gauge. I use a Super Elite III Turkey vest. I also use a Thermo-Cell. A must have for the taking of Bonus Birds!

Re: Are You Ready?

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Daryl, I have been ready Brother! I have been out all week photographing strutters and large flocks. It seems as though we are still about two weeks out from what I am seeing. Gobblers strutting with hens but hens walking around not very interested in breeding. I saw seven strutters today with five hens! Then one lone hen walks out and the strutters were torn between the hens and they were just feeding along! But down the road, I have seen one lone gobbler with 18 hens! I saw him today and in the feild less than 200 yards from him was another long beard by himself. I honestly believe in two weeks it will be really great. The lone gobblers will come in with the Jakes. But when another strutter shows up, it is going to be real interesting! ;)

But I got some bad news today! :cry: PT told me that I have to be on crutches for six more weeks because the Doctor told me wrong last week! I am about fed up with this! :twisted: Physical Therapist told me today that I can not heal by putting weight on a broken ankle! So I am off the ankle for 6 weeks! Slowly working the calf muscles each day but no weight! My Turkey season is messed up! Looks like I am going to have to call them all for my Daughter and let her get both of our limits!
Tim
Pass on as much information as you can to the next generation so our support for Turkey Hunting and Conservation will live on for our future Generations!

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

datrip

Post by datrip » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Man that is terrible news Tim....how did you break your ankle? Can your daughter push you in a wheel chair after you have camo'd that thing up? Either that or you need a Bad Boy Buggy. Man up here in the Foothills it is all climbing most of the time....not many flat areas in my neck of the woods.

I will be praying that your healing will progress quickly enough to allow some time for you to slap one down.

Daryl
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Twitter - daryltriplett

BgDadyBeardBustr
While hunting I carry: Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 Gauge, PSE Dream Season EVO and my Daughter with her Remington 11-87 20 Gauge. I use a Super Elite III Turkey vest. I also use a Thermo-Cell. A must have for the taking of Bonus Birds!

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 am

Daryl, I am a Cop and twisted it on a curb one night in the rain. Then a few days later I stepped off of another curb and it popped! Been a month now and still another six weeks! Just keep me in your prayers Brother! It is all in God's hands! :D

Might figure something out! I got enough blinds and chairs! ;)
Tim
Pass on as much information as you can to the next generation so our support for Turkey Hunting and Conservation will live on for our future Generations!

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 am

I'm thinking healing thoughts, Tim. Feel better soon.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks Guys! I tried yesterday to get my Nephew on one! He had a soccer game that morning but he was ready to call Uncle Tim after the game! I pulled into a field I have been watching with him at 1:00 PM! No birds in the field and they had started discomfort the field to plant corn in! As we are standing at the truck, a man comes driving up on a golf cart! He ask if I was going to start discing some more. Me on crutches, I told him that I was trying to get my Nephew his first Gobbler! I introduced myself as the Chapter President of the New River Longbeard Chapter of the NWTF! He said great! He had participated with his son years ago in the Jakes Day Events! He told me that I could use his golf cart and that he had a blind brushed in and for us to go use it! He told me when we finished that he would come back and get his golf cart! He said that his Daughter who is 11 killed her first bird earlier this morning and that it fought with another one for 10 minutes before he got whooped and came in to their set up! 11&1/4 inch beard, 1&1/4 spurs and weighed 21.5 pounds! I congratulated him and he said that he hoped my Nephew would get one too!

Me and Dman drove the cart to the blind. I fixed the decoys and told him where to put them and which way to face them! I then showed him where to park the golf cart at and walk on back to the blind! Dman is his Nic name and he is 9 years old! Dman came back to the blind and we sat down inside! His eyes were bothering him due to all of the pollen falling everywhere! 30 minutes later after a few soft yelps, clucks, and purrs I saw the top of a fan about 150 yards out just over a dip in the field! I gave him the Bino's and told him to watch him! I cut at him on my new Newman short box and he gobbled! I asked Dman if he saw anything else out there with him! He said yes that there was two hens with him! I told him to just sit back and we would watch what they do! They moved out of the field and back into the woods for an hour or so! Then a hen comes out into field and so does the gobbler! We watch and do not bother them thinking that they would come over and join the flock that was in front of the blind! Eventually four more hens joined them and fed to the woods on the other side of the field! Dman's eyes were red and he was rubbing them! Not wanting to burn him out, I told him to go get the cart and I would take him back to his mom's. I asked him on the way home if he enjoyed his first turkey hunt and he said that he did! I told him that it was just the first day and there would be plenty more in the next few weeks! He looks at me from the passenger side seat as we were riding back to his Mom's and says, Thank you Uncle Tim for taking me turkey hunting! We will get me one soon and I am not worried about not getting one! I guess we have done a pretty good job raising this young Man! I pulled into his Mom's driveway and he hugs me and says I will see you Monday Night! Maybe I can stay out of school one day and we can get one! But don't tell my Momma! I want to show her when I get one! I believe this boy is going to be all right! Looking forward to next week and for a golf cart! :D
Tim

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

datrip

Post by datrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Tim I bet that was a great hunt with your nephew, hate that you guys were not able to connect. I know you both were jacked-up. I look forward to reading the story of the future kill and see some pics...including those of the golf cart. :)

Daryl
Twitter - daryltriplett

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Are you hunting on Saturday, Tim? How about you, Daryl? I'm about like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm

I don't know just yet Jim! I hope to get out there soon! Just a waiting game right now! If the storms did not blow them away, I might find one close to a road somewhere!
Good Luck Guys!
Tim

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

datrip

Post by datrip » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Cut N Run wrote:Are you hunting on Saturday, Tim? How about you, Daryl? I'm about like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Jim
Oh yeah Jim...glad these storms cleared out. I think tomorrow morning is going to be prime...hoping the wind does not get up to early as I will be hunting ridges and hollers in my neck of the woods which makes hearing next to impossible. I am as jacked up as I have ever been. Will check everything once more tonight, double and probably triple check as well and load the truck up with all my gear. Is it Saturday daylight yet?
Twitter - daryltriplett

Return to “North Carolina”