Deadfall Gobbler #6

General topics around turkey hunting
Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Deadfall Gobbler #6

Post by Cut N Run » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:24 am

I wasn't sure where to hunt today, but last night, my wife reminded me of how good the little horse farm can be late in the season. I'd hunted out there twice so far this year and had not seen a single turkey. I weighed my options and decided the little farm would be it. I got in the woods extra early since I'd be hunting with decoys and a little extra time to set up, then get quiet never hurts.

As I settled in between the familiar downed trees that had been so good to me in the past, I barely caught sight of some truck headlights sweeping across the tops of the trees of the neighboring field edge. My watch said 5:03 AM. I couldn't see much of the field through the leaves, but there's no mistaking the sound of a truck and the sound of the truck's door closing when the woods are still. Great, somebody else was probably going to be hunting within a few hundred yards on the neighbor's property. Not how I wanted my day to start. Just about daybreak I heard a couple of owl hoots from the other side of the knoll along the field's edge. No doubt it was human and not an owl. No gobbles answered it either. Morning light brought chattering birds as the faint breeze rustled leaves in the trees. Then came a crow call from beside the field. Live crows were already in the air celebrating the new day. Their commotion caused another crow call from down beside the swamp a few hundred yards off to my left. Fan-freaking-tastic! Now there were three of us hunting in the space of 3/4ths of a mile. No gobbles were happening anywhere close enough for me to hear. I was feeling pretty discouraged. I heard some flat sounding yelps from down beside the field and I knew it wasn't a real hen. More crow calls shot up from down by the swamp. Heavy sigh...

Since it was good and light, I texted my best friend who had four gobblers sounding off three counties away, where he was hunting with his nephew. I described my situation and my buddy texted back for me to stay put. "You know how that place is, patience man." He said that they'd moved closer to a hot gobbler and were close without being too close. At 7:00 AM, my best friend texted back that the gobbler had flown down and had gone silent, likely with hens. I told him to wait a few minutes, then cutt hard for a long run and see if he didn't get a response. A few minutes later he replied that he'd done that and the gobbler wasn't interested. I texted to hold tight & that he may come in drumming. Just as I hit send, I thought I heard drumming from up on the ridge to my right. I didn't want to risk getting busted by moving, so I waited until the next breeze shook the leaves enough for me to slowly turn my head uphill. There was the drumming again, no doubt about it. I knew I wasn't imagining it, but all I saw was open woods and no turkey. He sounded pretty close too. Searching with my eyes, I caught movement of the top of a full fan just behind a pile of rocks about 60 yards uphill. He was easing my way in full strut, drumming as he came. I saw his thick beard and in my mind I said "You're gonna die, turkey". I hadn't made the first call, so he was reacting to those decoys on his own. He took a full 10 minutes from the first time I heard him until the moment I shot. Those Hevi #6s don't play at 18 yards. He went down without a flop and I'm tagged out.

He weighs 20 pounds 12 ounces, 10 inch heavy beard, and 1 inch spurs. I never heard the first gobble from this bird and I never called to him once. Maybe the other guys making all the noise drove him my way. That is the 6th gobbler I've killed from the base of the same tree over the past 5 years. Usually they respond to my calling. It is definitely worth doing work around that farm for rights to hunt there, though I'm not happy about how close the others hunt to the property line. Maybe they helped me this time.

Jim
Attachments
4-29-17 Deadfall.ar1.jpg
Luck Counts, good or bad.

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Re: Deadfall Gobbler #6

Post by ylpnfol » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Better lucky then good anyday, my friend. I'm sure you rattled your neighbors with the shot :lol:
You never know, unless you go

David

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Awesome! Great story as well!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
What? What?

Denny
While hunting I carry: Remington 870 SPST 12 guage, my Mossy Oak cushion and a field bag full of goodies.

Post by Denny » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Awesome bird - way to cap off a great season! I keep hearing gobbles, but can't get the big boy to come my way. Think I will give him the silent treatment tomorrow.
Congratulations Jim!
Denny

timbrhuntr
I mostly hunt turkey in: Anywhere I can !
While hunting I carry: Everything I can !

Post by timbrhuntr » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Congrats that sure seems to be your spot.

dewey
I mostly hunt turkey in: Minnesota
While hunting I carry: Way too much stuff according to my so called friends

Post by dewey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:33 am

Congratulations Jim on the not gobbling gobbler.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

goblr77
While hunting I carry: A lot

Post by goblr77 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:31 am

Congrats. Thanks for sharing the story.
Joshua 24:15

gut_pile
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Weatherby SA08 20ga, Buice Trumpet, Rut n Strut Calls

Post by gut_pile » Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Way to Mr. Jim
Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 am

Congrats Jim.....enjoyed the story.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Return to “General Discussion”