I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Re: Official 2013 Contest Updates Thread

Post by Bobbyparks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 pm

sman wrote:One quick thought on the 10 limit. Should the tie be by date or maybe highest scoring bird? With a nation wide contest some teams may be finished before some even begin.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

We have some time to put some thought into this.

It gets tricky and although the date has been a way to break a tie in the past....the seasonal dates thing does factor in. SE hunters could rack up before the northern or western guys get started.

Just thinking / writing out loud....If...you used the "highest scoring bird or hunter" on a team there still could be ties that would fall back to the date thing.

We can put some thought into this one because we do realize the complication of national season dates

(And one of our killers will be on a late season western hunt!)
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

Toddmann
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Bobbyparks wrote:
sman wrote:One quick thought on the 10 limit. Should the tie be by date or maybe highest scoring bird? With a nation wide contest some teams may be finished before some even begin.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

We have some time to put some thought into this.

It gets tricky and although the date has been a way to break a tie in the past....the seasonal dates thing does factor in. SE hunters could rack up before the northern or western guys get started.

Just thinking / writing out loud....If...you used the "highest scoring bird or hunter" on a team there still could be ties that would fall back to the date thing.

We can put some thought into this one because we do realize the complication of national season dates

(And one of our killers will be on a late season western hunt!)
Hmm I can tell somebody is really concerned deep in his heart for the Western Hunter. Just remember, the enemy of good is better. All the scoring rules put the western hunter at somewhat of a disadvantage. The longest beards and spurs traditionally come from the southeast therefore if you went to a hunter with the largest single bird score it would still favor the southeast hunter overall.

Bobbyparks
Shotgun
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:32 pm

What you say is true...with exception of concern for one western hunter of cousre :D

We'll never have everything where everyone will be happy and most of whats set is set and we can't mess with.

And not many out west will pick up any bonus points thats' for sure....midwest maybe they can

And the contest works as it is......As far as we're concerned the core aspects are good and the tweaks may make it better

The date thing in my view is a good way .......but possibly not the only way to break a tie...this aspect we can kick around a bit

Bonus points for beards and spurs is set to go.....

except..let me think when he's going...oh..okay yea......Any birds killed in Kansas between May 15 and May 19 using a Browning with IC choke and Hevi 6s by anyone with the initials WP scores 2 bonus points

That should be fair :D

Toddmann
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

That is why we can fully trust u Bobby. :lol:

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I am trying to hook something up but whatever is decided on by the powers that be works for me....I am working on a freebie in the Cornhusker State but I will have my bonus birds in the form of a long spurred Osceolas prior to that trip anyway.....I am hoping for sometime around March 16 or there abouts :D
Colossians 3:17

Bobbyparks
Shotgun
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Toddmann wrote:That is why we can fully trust u Bobby. :lol:

I detect sin o cism and of course I'm hurt deeply by this comment :D

BgDadyBeardBustr
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 Gauge, PSE Dream Season EVO and my Daughter with her Remington 11-87 20 Gauge. I use a Super Elite III Turkey vest. I also use a Thermo-Cell. A must have for the taking of Bonus Birds!

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Bobbyparks wrote:

Put some of that ACME Thick Skin on then!!!! :D
Pass on as much information as you can to the next generation so our support for Turkey Hunting and Conservation will live on for our future Generations!

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

Toddmann

Post by Toddmann » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Bobbyparks wrote:

I know I didn't just detect a hint of thin skin-O-sitis flaring up. No, if I know Bobby he is just playing hurt.

Bobbyparks
Shotgun
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Toddmann wrote:
Bobbyparks wrote:

I know I didn't just detect a hint of thin skin-O-sitis flaring up. No, if I know Bobby he is just playing hurt.

:D :D :)
I just sprayed down with two coats so I'm good now... :D

Jamey
While hunting I carry: Mossy Super Bantam 20 ga.

Post by Jamey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm

You guys are nuts...

...to think that only 2 coats are enough for Bobby. :P

As for the tie breaker, I like the earliest entry thing because that is a strategy factor and makes us worry more and work our strategy better to put our team ahead in the end. Like it or not I think we all have to agree that getting the best beard or spurs or highest score on any single bird is pretty much just luck and doesn't seem like the best tie-breaker IMO.

Yes it may favor the eastern hunters but as was stated earlier, so does almost everything else in any turkey hunting contest.

Return to “2013 - Spring Contest”