2013: A major disappointment...

J Gilbert, shane@, Brock Herrington, Turkeykiller12
TurkeyKiller12
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: A lot plus a gun!

2013: A major disappointment...

Post by TurkeyKiller12 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:42 am

Today was my last chance at killing a bird for this season and I had no luck, the gobbling ended just as soon as they hit the ground. I guess this is my first and last year in this or any challenge. I learned that after 10 years of killing turkeys I'm still not " good enough" to hang with even the average hunter. Had fun on the team this year guys, wished I could've done more.
Just an ol' Spur Collector

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Re: 2013: A major disappointment...

Post by Grant » Mon May 13, 2013 11:48 am

Its been rough on a lot of folks in GA... yet others seem to kill the foo out of them.

For me, I'm still seeing groups of hens (3 to 8) out and about. This weekend I saw a bachelor group of toms and jakes in a field, but never heard the first one gobble off the roost. Its been crazy.
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Mon May 13, 2013 11:50 am

Crazy is not really the word for it Grant....my word is something that would not be appropriate for the forum :shock:
Colossians 3:17

sman
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Mon May 13, 2013 12:17 pm

Dont let it siscourage you to much. We all have off yrs. Some guys off yr may be 6 birds. The rest of us it may be 0. Don't let it discourage you. Next yr may be your magical yr.

sent from my obama phone.
What? What?

Toddmann
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Don't get too down about and don't consider this year as a total disappointment. I usually learn the most when I have had a tough year. Next year is gonna be your year. Stay after them.

J Gilbert
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: 870 Youth 20ga, Limbhanger vest with Halloran pots and Tom Teasers diaphragms and Beard Hunter box calls

Post by J Gilbert » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Don't worry about it my friend, I didn't have the season I hoped for either- I was able to put down one good bird, but missed another and ultimately didn't get to spend the time I wanted in the woods due to buying a house and planning a wedding.

There are more turkeys out there to chase and kill.. just gonna have to wait awhile to do it now
Team NO COMPETITION

Bobbyparks
I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Thu May 16, 2013 6:07 am

Maybe you and I should sit down and have a drink together....maybe several....we could both drown our sorrows :)

I didn't scratch in Georgia for the first time in 21 years.....I didn't hunt a lot here but hunted several times...as much as I normally do and kill 3 birds....but not only didi I not kill one......I only had one bird to try and work which was off the property...didn't even get a good look at a gobbler here

So it's been an interesting year in a bad way for a few of us my friend

The break will help us and hopefully by next season you will look at it differently

We all know you normally are whacking them and you will again next year

We enjoy you being here on the forum and next year will be different
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

shane@
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Turkey calls that i make.

Post by shane@ » Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 am

TurkeyKiller12 wrote:Today was my last chance at killing a bird for this season and I had no luck, the gobbling ended just as soon as they hit the ground. I guess this is my first and last year in this or any challenge. I learned that after 10 years of killing turkeys I'm still not " good enough" to hang with even the average hunter. Had fun on the team this year guys, wished I could've done more.
I know how you feel this is by far the worst turkey season I have ever experienced in my 15 plus years of turkey hunting. Keep your head up my friend I for one would be proud to be on a team with the three of you again.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
S.H. Calls hand made turkey calls.

Ricochet
I mostly hunt turkey in: South Carolina
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Post by Ricochet » Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 am

Yeah, I think most of us had a tougher than normal year. I tagged out in SC and GA last year and didn't even come close to that this year. However, I saw more Jakes than usual so I think next year will be better - I can't wait! Keep after them and your luck will turn around.
- JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of gobbling in the morning...

Return to “16 - Widow Makers”