While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

When Fighting Purrs Really Work

Post by Grant » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:21 am

Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

datrip
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Calls, gun, shells, thermacell, tp...all I need.

Re: When Fighting Purrs Really Work

Post by datrip » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:08 pm

That was a great read Bobby. I used the fighting purrs to call in 4 gobblers 3 years ago. Three of them were jakes that came in from behind that were actually responding to my cuts and clucks. I did not know they were on their way as they were tight lipped. So I thought lets try the fighting purrs. I had the 3 jakes behind start gobbling and one straight down the hill out of sight blast off with a gobble. He got in my scope first and died. It is just another tool in the arsenal.

Daryl
Whatever is over my head is under HIS feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2006.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Twitter - daryltriplett

Bobbyparks
I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Daryl

It often does fire birds up and gets them gobbling

I'd be interested to hear from others that have used the call and how it's worked for them
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

MS TurkeyHunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mississippi
While hunting I carry: A gun.

Post by MS TurkeyHunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:59 pm

Once again great read! I never have used the fighting purr my self but after reading this article I might just have to give it try!
"Turkey hunting is not a game that needs a score or a scorekepper and does not require the production of a dead turkey to qualify as a success." Tom Kelly.

Treerooster
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Central USA
While hunting I carry: As much knowledge about the bird as I can fit in my thick skull.

Post by Treerooster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

I use fighting purrs quite a bit in my turkey hunting. The first time I used them was early in my turkey hunting. I had a tom come into my calling but could not get a shot at him. He was at 35 yards, in strut but down in a small river cut and I could only see the very top of him. By the time he came out of the cut he was 50 yards away, out of strut, going away and out of my range. I had heard about the fighting purrs and even purchased those 2 Knight & Hale push-pin calls. I just didn’t have them with me. The calls were bulky and a bit noisy to carry them all the time. I had a glass pot in my hands though so I just said “what the heck” and started scratching out some fight purrs. Just one pot call and one striker. This is when I learned that the 2 different tones “necessary” to make the fight purrs was not needed by turkeys…just turkey hunters. The tom turned around on a dime and I shot him at 22 yards. He came in even though my eyes were probably as big as tennis balls. :shock: :D

The 2nd time I used them was at the very end of the spring season and I think the birds were about done breeding in my area. I had spotted a group of 4 jakes and a tom about 200 yards away. I tried calling and could actually see I was getting no response whatsoever. The terrain was very open and I needed to get closer. By crawling on my hands & knees and my belly a little, I figured I could maybe get within 70 yards of them (I hate prickly pear cactus :x :D ). Well I made it, but by the time I got there the flock had move off and were now about 120 yards from me. I was on my belly next to a big Cottonwood so I laid my gun in good position and hit the fight purrs. The response was immediate. One jake hopped 3 feet up on a fallen tree looking for me and the whole flock soon turned and headed my way. The jakes were in the lead and I had one at 20 yards before the tom came into range. I kept calling until I grabbed the gun and shot the tom. The jake near me putted but I got the shot off before the tom knew anything was amiss.

I have called in toms away from a relatively large flock that was moving by me when other calls seemed to get no reaction.

I also use what I call soft fighting purrs. One year I heard a couple of hens going at it and their fighting purrs were much softer/less loud then the gobbler fight purrs I had heard. Hens may get after it just like gobblers, but this made me realize there is also a more subdued fighting purr. It doesn’t have to be very loud and aggressive. The rhythm is the same though. I make this soft fight purr on my Morgan Frictionwood caller (a small wooden call and striker sort of like a pot call). I have called 2 toms away from hens with it. Both had just joined a hen(s) right after coming off the roost in the morning and both were in N Wis in late May.

The last time I successfully used the fight purrs was last spring in N Wis and was on my “Seven Minutes of Separation” hunt that I posted. I had just killed a tom and also heard one gobbling in the opposite direction and coming closer. The tom I shot was flopping hard (it always amazes me how LOUD that flopping is in the woods on a quiet morning :shock: ). I went right to the fight purrs as it fitted in nicely with the flopping. The other tom was with 4 jakes and they came in with no hesitation even though I I think they were only 100 to 150 yards off when I shot the first tom.

I wouldn’t say I always use the fight purrs as a last resort, but I usually have had some interaction with the turkeys and my calling before I go to them. Just off the top of my head I think I have called in gobblers about a dozen times with the fight purrs. I go to the fight purrs more often now than I did originally but it still has to “feel right” before I go to them and it’s hard for me to explain when it feels right to me. Just a gut feeling I guess. I have used them probably as many times and have not called in the gobbler, so like anything else they are not a sure thing. I don’t use them as a locater as there is just too much noise for me to hear a response. I don’t always call constantly, they can be stopped and started again and the turkeys do this when fighting too. I have waited 4 or 5 minutes and started them up again. I make my fight purrs on a pot type call (slate or glass or the Frictionwood, what ever is in my vest at the time) and just use one call and one striker. I do try to make a sharp “V” when calling to get 2 tones, but I don’t think that is really necessary either. I believe the two-tone thing is a human requirement, not needed by the turkeys.
Savor the dawn

Bobbyparks
I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks John.......when yelping or whatever you're doing including "Going quiet" doesn't work...I believe you'll find they'll can work for you ...and its a fun hunt when they do

Gary......I remember the Knight & Hale push boxes you're talking about. I owned a pair too and pulled socks over em so they woudlnt bang around in a bag I carried them in. I believe I carried them a couple times but never tried them out.. not sure why but don't remember using them....They were bulky as you said for the amount they might get used.

It was the release of those calls that made me aware of the tactic though.

Enjoyed reading your encounters and how you've used them. You have some great stories
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:34 pm

I have used a very aggressive purr with a diagram call and pulled some birds in when nothing else worked.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Gopherlongbeards
I mostly hunt turkey in: Wisconsin
While hunting I carry: Shotgun, a couple mouth calls, 2 pot calls and a box.

Post by Gopherlongbeards » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:09 pm

I have had very good success with fighting purrs during spring and fall seasons. Like others have said they tend to work best after you've been talking to a bird for awhile, I don't think I've ever started out with a fighting purr and had it be successful. For me they really shine when you have a hung up bird that you've been chatting with for awhile. Especially If you have that bird aggressively yelping or gobbling back at you. Hit them with the purr. Calling is a two way street, if you're being challenged by that bird, 1-up them with the fighting purr.

Return to “Article Discussions”