That 12 gauge never lets me down.

Brock Herrington
I mostly hunt turkey in: Northwest Florida

That 12 gauge never lets me down.

Post by Brock Herrington » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:47 am

My dad bought me a benelli M2 when I was 12 years old. Brand new it was solid black, 12 gauge, 3" chamber with a 28" barrel, and I loved it. For me, guns have a high sentimental value attached to them. How many times can your dad give you your first real shotgun? It's one of those guns that won't only be mine but will be in a family tree sometime after my hunting days are over. This ol gal, I call her Molly, she's been a good companion to tote through the spring turkey woods, over icy cold water shooting redheads, and running through creek bottoms catching bayed hogs. It is my go-to and do-all shotgun. I understand that some guys enjoy having multiple guns, buying selling and trading on the next good deal, and I respect that. But for me, I'll be sticking with this ol gal, shooting a simple jelly head choke and either hevi-13 or lead, I can use both and feel deadly. I know there's some guys on here that are hard pressed to trade in a 12 gauge for a 20 gauge, what's on your mind?
" Clear Eyes Full Hearts Cant Lose"

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Re: That 12 gauge never lets me down.

Post by Grant » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:44 am

I've got a few dad passed down, but I bought new guns over the years that I use regularly.

I got on a 20ga kick last year and bought one, but the maxus is really hard to put down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Post by ylpnfol » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:49 pm

I hear you, my dad didn't hunt, but he got the 1100 I have from an acquaintance of his that had it for sale, I bought it for $100 when I was 19 yrs old, and catching the hunting bug, I think of him often when I'm toting it....
You never know, unless you go

David

Brock Herrington

Post by Brock Herrington » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm bad about having the mindset of if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. I know as well as everyone else here that 20 Gauge is a good gun, and if my dad had bought me a 20 gauge instead of a 12 I would be using it right now. But since I have a 12 gauge and it can do everything I want it to, why change?

Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:58 pm

I have a Benelli SBE II that is about like my right arm. I doubt I could hunt without it. That said, I got my Granddaddy's 20 ga. 870 that I'm slowly turning into a turkey machine. About 30 years ago, my dumb@$$ brother shot slugs out of it and bulged the choke, so the barrel got cut, re-crowned, and threaded for chokes. I got a swivel magazine cap and plan to have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts soon. After that, it will be off to get a M.O. Bottomland dip. I plan to add a Fast Fire on top to finish it. My Benelli is still my primary turkey gun, but it will be fun to have Grandaddy's gun back in service again and add another turkey buster to the mix. I haven't stepped over to the dark side yet...but I'm inching that way.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Brock Herrington

Post by Brock Herrington » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Cool project man! I would definitely do a project like that just for the history of the gun. My grandfather bought a Browning A5 brand new, Dad thinks he bought it back in the 40's, I still hunt with that from time to time. 28" full choked barrel, 2.75" chamber. The first two turkeys I ever shot at were with that gun. It just gives me a good luck kind of feeling when I'm carrying it.

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:59 am

I have a few with sentimental value. Dad's first rifle. 44 mag lever action. Plan on passing it to my son. He still has his 1100 I don't want it for another 50yrs. Got a few of my grandpa's guns as well.

However like Grant said, it's hard to put the Maxus down. I'm planning on buying another barrel for it shortly and having it cut to 23- 24". Might even go 21.

sent from my obama phone.
What? What?

Brock Herrington

Post by Brock Herrington » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:36 pm

A 23-24" barrel on a maxus would be awesome for turkey hunting, it would sit on your knee better while he's out there taking his time coming in.

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:05 pm

I just looked and barrels are $350-425. I think I can live with 26" for now.

sent from my obama phone.
What? What?

uplandrules
I mostly hunt turkey in: Alabama
While hunting I carry: shotgun, and ammo

Post by uplandrules » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Super Vinci there is no substitue

Return to “12 Gauge Shotguns”