That 12 gauge never lets me down.

Brock Herrington
I mostly hunt turkey in: Northwest Florida

Re: That 12 gauge never lets me down.

Post by Brock Herrington » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 pm

That would be a sweet gun to get a hold of.
" Clear Eyes Full Hearts Cant Lose"

uplandrules
I mostly hunt turkey in: Alabama
While hunting I carry: shotgun, and ammo

Post by uplandrules » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:28 pm

It was be a keeper gun for sure

Mtns2hunt
I mostly hunt turkey in: Virginia

Post by Mtns2hunt » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:15 pm

I am the same - my guns have plenty of sentimental value. I have my dads rifles and most of my shotguns, I have three, get used a lot. My Turkey gun is a old BPS that I think I bought around the 80's I have had it a long time. I used to hunt grouse and dove with it and occasionally quail. Now it is exclusively Turkey and Coyote. It has a kicks choke and a Primos choke: patterns well to 60 yards with LB but not so good with Hevi shot. It used to hold outstanding patterns with Winchester Supremes - still cannot figure why Winchester discontinued them as the Double xx seem to be only good to 40 yards.

I shoot a Bennelli SB ll for dove now and am preparing it for a back up Turkey gun.

I use a Remington 1100 2 3/4 for all other small game and sometimes dove - I seem to shoot very well with this shotgun.

To me sentimental value means confidence - if I like a gun - I shoot it well - if I like a Turkey call - I call well.

I have enjoyed reading the posts in this forum - thought man be I was the only one that was attached to old guns.

Brock Herrington

Post by Brock Herrington » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 am

Mtns2hunt wrote:I am the same - my guns have plenty of sentimental value. I have my dads rifles and most of my shotguns, I have three, get used a lot. My Turkey gun is a old BPS that I think I bought around the 80's I have had it a long time. I used to hunt grouse and dove with it and occasionally quail. Now it is exclusively Turkey and Coyote. It has a kicks choke and a Primos choke: patterns well to 60 yards with LB but not so good with Hevi shot. It used to hold outstanding patterns with Winchester Supremes - still cannot figure why Winchester discontinued them as the Double xx seem to be only good to 40 yards.

I shoot a Bennelli SB ll for dove now and am preparing it for a back up Turkey gun.

I use a Remington 1100 2 3/4 for all other small game and sometimes dove - I seem to shoot very well with this shotgun.

To me sentimental value means confidence - if I like a gun - I shoot it well - if I like a Turkey call - I call well.

I'm right there with you on all of those points, I have a lot of pride and it carries over into my hunting gear as well. I don't feel the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest; I like things that I have history with. The saying "don't fix it if it's not broke," applies to this topic. I have a shotgun that will hold a killing pattern out to 50 yards, doesn't have a bad recoil, isn't heavy, and will always be the first shotgun my dad bought me; there is not much room to improve that.

I have enjoyed reading the posts in this forum - thought man be I was the only one that was attached to old guns.

Brock Herrington

Post by Brock Herrington » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 am

Mtns2hunt wrote:I am the same - my guns have plenty of sentimental value. I have my dads rifles and most of my shotguns, I have three, get used a lot. My Turkey gun is a old BPS that I think I bought around the 80's I have had it a long time. I used to hunt grouse and dove with it and occasionally quail. Now it is exclusively Turkey and Coyote. It has a kicks choke and a Primos choke: patterns well to 60 yards with LB but not so good with Hevi shot. It used to hold outstanding patterns with Winchester Supremes - still cannot figure why Winchester discontinued them as the Double xx seem to be only good to 40 yards.

To me sentimental value means confidence - if I like a gun - I shoot it well - if I like a Turkey call - I call well
I'm right there with you on all of those points, I have a lot of pride and it carries over into my hunting gear as well. I don't feel the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest; I like things that I have history with. The saying "don't fix it if it's not broke," applies to this topic. I have a shotgun that will hold a killing pattern out to 50 yards, doesn't have a bad recoil, isn't heavy, and will always be the first shotgun my dad bought me; there is not much room to improve that.

I have enjoyed reading the posts in this forum - thought man be I was the only one that was attached to old guns

Return to “12 Gauge Shotguns”