Where are you hunting?

Lightnrod, Wildbill1986, OBA5151, Cut N Run
Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Where are you hunting?

Post by Cut N Run » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Have you got private land, or do you hunt public lands? Big or Small or both? Is your hunting territory someplace you've hunted often before, or is it fairly new to you?

I've hunted two small horse farms less than 7 miles from the house with fairly minimal turkey populations and heavy hunting pressure around them over the past few years. There's just enough quality gobblers around to make it worth hunting.

I have permission to hunt a 600 acre piece of private land about 50 miles southwest of here, though my access to much of that is restricted because it is up for sale. I probably won't hunt it much this year because the neighbors hunt it hard and their bigger piece of land got sold, which means even more pressure there this year.

I plan to hunt a couple of pieces of public land near my best friend's house that have good turkey populations. Last year was the first time I hunted there and had gobblers working, but I was in cover too thick to get a shot each time and had to let the birds pass.

I just scored two small farms about 45 miles northwest that are in the middle of one of the best counties for turkey population in NC. I'd hoped to scout it tomorrow, but we're in another ice storm right now. Maybe I'll get to look around on Saturday (if I don't have too many more downed trees to cut up).

How about you?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Lightnrod
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: A gun.

Re: Where are you hunting?

Post by Lightnrod » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:51 am

The rest of Team Swoleheads will be hunting private land. We try to stay as far away from public land as we can. Too many nuts to deal with and a turkey ain't worth getting shot over. We all have good access to some prime turkey habitat. Wildbill did lose about 1300 acres this year though.

wildbill1986
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: DEAD BIRDS

Post by wildbill1986 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:45 am

I did get in a club with 700 acres on the ogeechee river. It's loaded with turkeys and only 2 or 3 turkey hunters. I've got it locked in for next year for sure. I have been trying to pay extra to go ahead and start hunting it this year but have communication problems with president of the club. :cry: Between losing land and the ice storm it's going to be tough this year.
Love to see the sun rise

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:58 am

I'd love to find a place around home that has some decent acreage without many other hunters. It is a rare thing anywhere near home. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying to find the smaller spots that get overlooked and hunt my hardest. The best turkey hunting I ever had was definitely on private land, but I don't have access to that same tree farm anymore.

I checked lease prices on craigslist and hunting club membership is much more affordable in Georgia than it is around this part of North Carolina. They seem to want your first born or your right arm just to hunt deer & turkeys. The trouble is that I'm too close to Raleigh, where there's too many people with more money than sense, and not enough open land anymore. I imagine it is similar closer to Atlanta.

I know what you mean about ice storm damage. We had another storm here last night, but power stayed up, so did most of the trees this time. I just got most of the limbs and trees cleaned up from the last one. The only good thing about ice storms is they bring down new cover to hunt behind.

Jim

Lightnrod
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: A gun.

Post by Lightnrod » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 am

C&R, I'm afraid all this debris will be more of a problem than a blessing. More stuff for the birds to hang up behind. Only time will tell.

Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Twelve years ago, we had a severe ice storm at the tree farm where I hunted and worked part time. It made a royal mess with a lot of obstructions for the birds and people to get around. That property had a powerline run through it towards a ridge and you couldn't walk the opening after the storm. It took me weeks to cut and haul off the downed limbs & trees to clear it enough for 4 wheelers to pass. I cut so much, it felt like I was running a saw in my sleep. Clearing that path gave the turkeys an open highway to walk on and strut near the ridge. That year, we killed 6 full grown gobblers off that powerline opening in 2 weeks time and left plenty of other gobblers for seed. It seemed like all the gobblers in the area were hot to find a good place to show their stuff to the hens and we had it. There was a lot of successful nests on that tree farm later into summer as well. Even though the storm made us too much extra work, it paid dividends down the line.

I hope it works out the same way for you. Good luck this year.

Jim

Return to “1 - Team Swole Heads”