Lead Off Men!

peanutman04, Ricochet, kygobbler, trkyburns
Ricochet
I mostly hunt turkey in: South Carolina
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Re: Lead Off Men!

Post by Ricochet » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Gobbler down! I finally blasted one this evening. It's a 5 point mature 2 year old bird. :)
Attachments
IMG_20140411_185927.jpg
- JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of gobbling in the morning...

peanutman04
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: shotgun, shells and turkey call

Post by peanutman04 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:31 pm

That's rite! Heck yea, nice! you sure that beard ain't over 10?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

trkyburns
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Post by trkyburns » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Way to Ricochet! I knew it wouldn't be long for you!

Peanut, glad to hear you're still getting after 'em. Good luck tomorrow!

Good luck On your opener KY!

Guys, I just realized I havent entered my 6 point bird from Saturday. Its been kind of a crazy week for me with work and new opportunities that i hope i can share very soon. Today is the last day I can enter him so I'm gonna go ahead and do that in a minute. Right now I'm trying to get 5 crazy little girls (daughters first slumber party :( ) settled down watching a movie and hopefully falling asleep. I'm going to a great spot in the morning that I'm lucky to get to hunt once or twice a year.
"... a thing is true at first light and a lie by noon..." - Hemingway

Ricochet
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Post by Ricochet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:46 am

peanutman04 wrote:That's rite! Heck yea, nice! you sure that beard ain't over 10?

Thanks! Yeah, it's just shy of 10 inches.

Thanks TB - good luck today!
- JP

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:19 am

Good deal JP!! Congrats!!
Colossians 3:17

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks!

This is the latest I have ever harvested a bird - I think it was shortly after 6PM. He is a nice 2 year old - nearly 15 pounds, 9 12/16 inch beard and 15/16 inch spurs. His buddy got away and I believe he had 2 others with him when I first saw them in the road. I also got video of it - it might be pretty good - stay tuned for that.

I got 1 of the gobblers in this group to gobble once but that was it. I kneeled on 1 knee and waited at the edge of the road as they came around the bend. Once they figured out something was up I let the slower one eat some lead. I actually wanted to try and get them both but no dice.

Lastly, this bird went for a swim in the canal next to the road before I could finish him off. Hence why he looks wet and all.
- JP

peanutman04
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: shotgun, shells and turkey call

Post by peanutman04 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Good deal! You rollin now JP!
I got on one gobbling good on the roost this am, but I think I got too close and he quit gobbling. They weren't as vocal this am like they were yesterday. I'm gone give em one more try in the am.
Maybe ky had sum good luck today?

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Post by kygobbler » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Congrats JP, I'm glad to see you finally got the monkey off your back.

After "hunting" with my daughter this afternoon, I had my wife pick her up. I went back to the other farm where I ran into that boy hunting it. After walking some of the farm I noticed they were doing some lumbering on one side. I went to the other side of the farm and noticed half the freaking woods gone. :shock: The half they took out was where the birds always roosted. When I say the woods was gone I mean completely gone. They done bulldozed the stumps up and everything. Its nothing but dirt now.

I saw four longbeards this morning so the birds are still hanging but they have a new routine that I got to learn quickly.

To top off my day, when I get back to my truck there is a guy waiting for me? After introducing ourselves I found out that he had leased the farm. :o :evil: Now I'm thinking %$#@ I have lost a great place to hunt. After talking for 30 minutes I still get to hunt the farm! :D

This has been a very interesting day. I hope tomorrow the only excitement is a monster gobbler hanging upside down. I will be hunting by myself in the morn and then taking another kid in the afternoon.
Bryan

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Post by kygobbler » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:41 pm

While I was hunting today I got to thinking about a topic that sman started. He wondered if the sport was gaining momentum, leveled off, or on a decline. After today I believe its reaching new heights. I went to the honey hole this morning and was waiting for the birds to come over the hill to me. BOOM BOOM BOOOM YEA!!! Only problem it wasn't me doing the shooting or the celebrating. It was some yahoos on the neighboring property. After hearing 10 more rounds go off I just shook my head and decided to go home and eat lunch since it was noon.

I went to the other property that I ran into two other people yesterday. I get to the first gate and notice a truck with two people in full camo about to pull out. Of course I pull in front of them and asked if they needed help. The told me they were just turning around and I told him that it looked more like they were hunting on private property. He told me that the owner gave him permission and he has been hunting it for years. I told him I thought he was full of crap and got his licence plate number.

So I leave and go the other entrance and I be darned there is two more people about to leave. At this time I'm madder than a wet hen. Its two teenagers and ask them the same old questions and I get the same old answers. So I get their licence plate number also.

It looks like I'm in for a long season and a long conversation with the land owner. There is a place on that property that has only one way to get to it and its at the very back. I checked the entrance since its all mud and rocks where you cross and noticed no boot tracks. I went to the very back corner and let out some soft calls with my wingbone. Again like this morning all I did was call in hens with no boyfriends.
Bryan

trkyburns
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Post by trkyburns » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Man that sucks, hate to hear that. I had to run two teenagers off one of my spots last season. They told me they had permission when I knew they didn't. Yesterday at my buddy's place, about mid-morning here came a truck driving real slow along the pasture edge where we were standing deciding on our next move. The guy sees us and drives over, tells us he had the place leased. When he questioned him it turned out he leases it for his cows and sometimes "hunts" there too. Bet the property owner didn't know about him "hunting". It turned out ok though, I called in a bird for my buddy.
Attachments
jarrod 4.11.14.jpg
"... a thing is true at first light and a lie by noon..." - Hemingway

Return to “7 - Money Shot”