Lead Off Men!

peanutman04, Ricochet, kygobbler, trkyburns
peanutman04
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: shotgun, shells and turkey call

Re: Lead Off Men!

Post by peanutman04 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks JP and good luck! It has been a great season.
Happy Easter to yall!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

trkyburns
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Post by trkyburns » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Congrats to you and your buddy. Nice bird!

Happy Easter guys and good luck JP.

I'll be at it again in the morning and several mornings this week. It's the wife (teacher) and daughters spring break so I'll actually be able to go early since she will be home with little man. I'm taking the wife one morning too.
"... a thing is true at first light and a lie by noon..." - Hemingway

peanutman04

Post by peanutman04 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Good luck to you and your wife trky.

Ricochet
I mostly hunt turkey in: South Carolina
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Post by Ricochet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 am

My SC season is about over and I seriously doubt I will get another bird here. :( However, there is my GA honey hole and WY & SD to look forward to in 2 weeks. :)
- JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of gobbling in the morning...

trkyburns
While hunting I carry: Ol' Tom from head to pants cuff; More calls than I need; Wingbone around my neck

Post by trkyburns » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:30 pm

JP, what days will you be in Georgia? I'm definitely interested in teaming up if it works with my schedule.

Ricochet
I mostly hunt turkey in: South Carolina
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Post by Ricochet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:16 pm

trkyburns wrote:JP, what days will you be in Georgia? I'm definitely interested in teaming up if it works with my schedule.
Hey, it would be Monday, May 5th till Thursday, May 8th. I should be guiding a relative of the landowner 1 or 2 of those days. So, hopefully we can work it out one way or another.
- JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of gobbling in the morning...

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Post by kygobbler » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Guys, I'm sorry that I haven't been on here very much at all but I have been hunting my butt off. Short version of how the season has gone. I have seen 6 mature birds total on two places that I am hunting. I missed the big boy as he was running away from me. I passed on a bird because his beard wasn't big enough. I left the only workable bird I have had all season in the field 70 yards away and gobbling like it was going out of style because I had to pick up my daughter from school. Last Friday, I had 10 jakes with a hen walk up to me and to be honest how my season has gone I was seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the super jakes.

Last Saturday evening I finally got a bird. He is the same one that I had passed on earlier in the week. I would love to tell you that I called him in gobbling, strutting, and drumming on the way in. I had two hen decoys out and was just doing some soft kee kee yelps, cutts, and purrs. I was questioning my hunting skills and trying to figure out why the birds are completely separated all day long. I looked to my left and there he was 20 yards away. He couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to eat or strut. He kept going back and forth and never raising his head up and coming closer to me. I tried whistling and I couldn't get a single note out to save my life and he is still coming. Finally I went "Hey baby" and he raised his head and I pulled the trigger at 12 yards.
April bird.jpg
April beard.jpg
April spurs.jpg
I have never killed a mature bird with such a small beard. It was 6.5" long, the spurs were 7/8", and he weighed 25 lbs. He had some longer strands on his beard but if you touched it it would fall off from the base. I have never seen that before. Have any of you ever seen that before?
Bryan

peanutman04

Post by peanutman04 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Congrats! No big deal, I would have busted his tail too! Fat boy ain't he. Maybe be beard rot. Now get us another one!

trkyburns

Post by trkyburns » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Congrats Bryan! Nice bird who cares if the beard is falling apart!

Took the wife tonight and we got us one roosted for in the morning. She got to hear her first gobble. Hopefully she will see one die in the morning!

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 am

Nice Job Bryan!! That beard rot is getting more and more prevalent these days!!

Mature full fanned bird....BOOM! Ground check the rest!!

Congrats again bro!!
Colossians 3:17

Return to “7 - Money Shot”