Big Cypress

Hunters looking to hunt the Osceola wild turkey
Zach Phillips
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Lots of hate in my heart for the turkey gobbler..

Big Cypress

Post by Zach Phillips » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Have any of you guys been to Big Cypress National Preserve? Me and a couple friends are strongly considering going down there and trying it out. Looks like we'd have to get way off the road and rough camp. I asked a guy for advice and was basically told I couldn't kill a bird out there.. I like proving people wrong :mrgreen:
"Turkey gobbler don't care"

Gobble157
I mostly hunt turkey in: All over the US
While hunting I carry: Gun, vest, GPS, and Gods love!

Big Cypress

Post by Gobble157 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:33 pm

It's crazy out there. I have never been there and really couldn't give you any input. There are some that have been there on here (I think).
Lifelong obsessed turkey hunter just living my life for The Lord Jesus Christ :)

Proverbs 3: 5-8

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Re: Big Cypress

Post by mossyoakpro » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Zach Phillips wrote:Have any of you guys been to Big Cypress National Preserve? Me and a couple friends are strongly considering going down there and trying it out. Looks like we'd have to get way off the road and rough camp. I asked a guy for advice and was basically told I couldn't kill a bird out there.. I like proving people wrong :mrgreen:
Zach,

I have never been there but I have a friend who has twice....he said it is an absolute zoo down there. He said just when you thought you were far enough away from everyone another truck or ATV would show up. Some guys he was with did kill a bird though...they were taking a nap one afternoon and one gobbled right next to the campground and they were able to get him killed.
Colossians 3:17

Zach Phillips

Post by Zach Phillips » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks for the replys. I'm trying to figure out if I've bit off more than I can chew with this one but I do like the challenge. We will see how it goes haha

Mark K
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Post by Mark K » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:29 am

I've been once. We went in off of Aligator Alley. Be prepared to do ALOT OF WALKING!! It was beautiful but we never heard a bird where we were. Did find couger tracks though!!! If you have one of those swamp buggies then your set!!

Cove
While hunting I carry: Remington

Post by Cove » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Zach Phillips wrote:Have any of you guys been to Big Cypress National Preserve? Me and a couple friends are strongly considering going down there and trying it out. Looks like we'd have to get way off the road and rough camp. I asked a guy for advice and was basically told I couldn't kill a bird out there.. I like proving people wrong :mrgreen:
Okay, here goes alot of assuming and we all know what happens when you assume but the evidence is overwhelming.

I am going to assume that you are the same Zach that sent me the pm on GON probing for information. I am also going to assume that I and "the guy" that told you you couldn't kill a turkey there. Okay... if either or both of these are false disregard the following.

First, in no way, shape, form or fashion did I say you couldn't kill a turkey in Cypress. I'm living proof that an out of stater with access to nothing more than a pair of boots can do it in there, I have several times now. So you don't have to plague yourself with attempting to prove anyone wrong- I wish you the very very best of luck and would never wish any red blooded turkey hunter any different. You must understand what you are expecting of people though, I looked at your profile before replying, you have 8 posts. . . 8. Thats an immediate red flag, but despite that fact I still offered up some information. The information that I provided may not seem like much, but I would have absolutely LOVED to have had someone tell me those things before I struck out for the Everglades for the first time. It would have saved me a ton of time, money and energy. You also said you have access to private property, I strongly suggested you not snub that property because the terrain and crowds in South Florida on the opener can result in a very unsatisfactory experience after you've dropped all that $$ on license, lodging and travel expense. You wont find many people that hunt Cypress and you'll find even fewer that with talk about it. So I apologize for you thinking I was rude or unhelpful but I would strongly suggest you reconsider and examine the information I provided, free of charge. . . for you at least. Best of Luck with the Osceolas.

Bobbyparks
I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:54 pm

I hear alot of stories about the public land in Florida that make it sound like you've got to want a bird really bad to go that route...I know some guys that live there that seem to do okay but even they have a lease in Alabama to avoid the onslaught...don't mean this as dig on Florida but it just sounds like with everyone getting caught up in the Slam thing that Florida ain't for sissies

I realize some may have limited options and if you live there you take what you can get but outside of spending to hunt private land....it sure seems like it would be easier to spend your money and time in other places...less crowded that Big Cypress
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

Mark K
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Post by Mark K » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Here is my analogy of opening day in Florida's southern zone. Compare opening day to the Friday after Thanksgiving at your local Walmart!!! Good luck!! But like Cove said, it can be done.

Kadiddlehopper
While hunting I carry: Two cameras

Post by Kadiddlehopper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Zack ,I grew-up in Opa-locka ,have hunted that area as a kid ,with my dad (35-40 yrs ago ) It was mad crazy back then,so i can only Imagen what it is now . I still go back every year to photograph the birds (Not Turkeys) and mostly head to shark valley ,and Anhinga Trail ,"They are safe "...lol Take a good amount of insect repellent ,and trust no-one !
Take What You Eat ,But Eat What You Take !

Zach Phillips

Post by Zach Phillips » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Cove, I am the same one from Gon. However you are not the one that said I couldn't do it. I have called atleast 10 people and messaged 15 or so. I like getting as much info on a place as possible before I drive that far and spend that much money. I also know people that have lodges inside the preserve. One of which we will be staying with. He guides air boat tours and is a bass fishing guide there. Agian I just like knowing as much as possible before I go. It is true that I have several connections that could put me on a bird. We have decided to hunt cypress for the experience and challenge. I don't "expect" anyone to help me out or give me magical info. I'm going for a week and am not scared to put in the foot work to find them... and I will. I appreciate the information you gave me but honestly would not have given a flyin gorrila if you would have told me it sucks and I'm wasting my time. Thats why I talk to as many people as possible.

Return to “Looking for Osceolas”