No Permit This Season!

Hunters looking to hunt the Osceola wild turkey
Damoutdoors
I mostly hunt turkey in: Fl
While hunting I carry: Shotgun, box call, diaphram calls, vest, binoculars, compass, aerial map, water.

No Permit This Season!

Post by Damoutdoors » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm just a little bummed that we didn't get WMA permits this year, but there are a few options left for open areas on WMA's. I'll be searching for private access in the meantime.

Damoutdoors
While hunting I carry: Shotgun, box call, diaphram calls, vest, binoculars, compass, aerial map, water.

Re: No Permit This Season!

Post by Damoutdoors » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Just a followup on the last desperate post. Stienhatchee Springs WMA is open after the first nine days. It is, however, in that gray area between Osceola and Eastern turkeys. Hybrids likely, but a place to blast one. There are others WMA areas open, but this one is supposed to have a good population.

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Damoutdoors wrote:Just a followup on the last desperate post. Stienhatchee Springs WMA is open after the first nine days. It is, however, in that gray area between Osceola and Eastern turkeys. Hybrids likely, but a place to blast one. There are others WMA areas open, but this one is supposed to have a good population.
Might want to verify that...they supposedly redrew the lines to include some additional counties....NWTF website should have it.

It's all about the dollar you know :D
Colossians 3:17

Damoutdoors

Post by Damoutdoors » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks. Will Do.

Damoutdoors

Post by Damoutdoors » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

OK Mossyoakpro,
Did the research. Stienhatchee Springs WMA lies in three counties. Only the southern most county of Dixie has Osceola's as determined by the FWC and NWTF. Northern counties are likely to be Eastern's or hybrids. Good to know if your working on a grand slam. Could possibly do both on one WMA.

mossyoakpro

Post by mossyoakpro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Damoutdoors wrote:OK Mossyoakpro,
Did the research. Stienhatchee Springs WMA lies in three counties. Only the southern most county of Dixie has Osceola's as determined by the FWC and NWTF. Northern counties are likely to be Eastern's or hybrids. Good to know if your working on a grand slam. Could possibly do both on one WMA.
I am sure that the Osceola knows the county lines and keeps his tail feathers where they are supposed to be :lol:

I killed a bird in Charlton County, Georgia a while back that had all the markings of an Osceola, even had a DNR bioligist in Valdosta look at him and he wanted to know where I had killed the Osceola before I actually told him where it came from....he was about 100 miles north of where he was supposed to be.....I believe he was running from all the snowbirds that invade Florida yearly :mrgreen:

Damoutdoors

Post by Damoutdoors » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Great news from FWC! There was an anomaly in their new system. Turns out I was awarded a permit for Caravelle Ranch WMA. The place is loaded with turkeys! Now if some of that luck will follow me till March 16th, I'll have my Osceola!

mossyoakpro

Post by mossyoakpro » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Damoutdoors wrote:Great news from FWC! There was an anomaly in their new system. Turns out I was awarded a permit for Caravelle Ranch WMA. The place is loaded with turkeys! Now if some of that luck will follow me till March 16th, I'll have my Osceola!
Where is that WMA located?? Never heard of that one...

timbrhuntr
I mostly hunt turkey in: Anywhere I can !
While hunting I carry: Everything I can !

Post by timbrhuntr » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Thats good. I wish I could say the same but I am still 16th in line :cry: .

Damoutdoors

Post by Damoutdoors » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Tim,
How about Green Swamp? A lot of walking but there are birds.

Return to “Looking for Osceolas”