Public land Osceola

Hunters looking to hunt the Osceola wild turkey
User avatar
mossyoakpro
Posts: 3076
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)
Location: In the woods

Public land Osceola

Post by mossyoakpro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Guys,

Up until this year I have always hunted on FL WMA's for the elusive Osceola....I have hunted the Special Op hunts and the regualar quota hunts. The best as far as I am concerned for the Special Op hunts is Dexter Mary Farms on the St. Johns River near Deland. They manage that land especially for Turks so it is loaded up with them. I have been twice and killed twice, the Lake George WMA which is right across the road from Dexter Mary is a good quota hunt opportunity as well....been there once and missed once :?

The draw is in the fall so you might give them a look on the FL DNR website.

Good luck!!
Colossians 3:17

User avatar
Hoppie
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Crow call, pouch of mouth calls, two slate with strikers, owl hoot, vest, pistol, 870 express. Oh and last but not least a roll of tp.

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by Hoppie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Is there any drawing process for out of state to access public land in Florida? I am currently coaching all spring, but look to be dropping that after this year and really want to start pursuing a grand slam.
Is it bad I don't take offense if someone calls me a bird brain.

User avatar
mossyoakpro
Posts: 3076
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)
Location: In the woods

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by mossyoakpro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Hoppie wrote:Is there any drawing process for out of state to access public land in Florida? I am currently coaching all spring, but look to be dropping that after this year and really want to start pursuing a grand slam.
Yes, the draw occurs in the fall...October I believe. You pay $5 per chance on the special op hunts and if you get drawn you then have to purchase the permit to hunt. It can get expensive but lots cheaper than paying some outfitter to run you through his turkey factory to kill one.

The regular quota hunts are drawn later...can't remember when though, it has been a few years since I have applied.

Here is how it works on the Dexter Mary Farms draw which is a special op hunt....

There are 3 hunting units which are around 2000 acres each I believe....they allow 4 hunters per unit per hunt, first come first serve on your spot in that unit. The kicker to it is that they only allow 1 non resident hunter to draw per unit per hunt...BUT, tags are transferable from a resident...SO, get a FL person to apply for you and you have a 75% greater chance of drawing the hunt.

I actually drew a tag on the 3rd hunt by myself...cost me $200 worth of chances and then the tag fee of $175.
After finding out about the transferable tags, I had a buddy apply and draw the 1st hunt which is much better hunting as you can imagine. Then if you can draw a quota tag for Lake George WMA you can go across the road and hunt as well after whacking one on Dexter Mary....which is fairly easy to do.

Fortunately I found a feller that traded deer hunting for Osceola hunting so I hope to be set for a while on private land. He came up here and killed a 130" buck in November so that should get me a couple turks down there!!

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else!!
Colossians 3:17

ddturkeyhunter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: MN
While hunting I carry: Remington, calls ,DSD decoys, water
Location: Willmar MN

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by ddturkeyhunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Mossyoakpro are you a resident or a Nonresident to Florida. The reason I ask is last fall I was going to apply for a special op hunt knowing I wouldn't get one the first year I only wanted it for 2013 any way. But I wanted to get my preference level up but when i went to fill it out it asked for my lic number. I wasn't going to spend 180.00 just to apply. So did I do something wrong or how do you do that. I need to know In a few years or so for sure when I retire I hope to start my turkey season out down there every year. Thanks Mn

User avatar
Gobble157
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: All over the US
While hunting I carry: Gun, vest, GPS, and Gods love!
Location: Pensacola, FL

Public land Osceola

Post by Gobble157 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Im a resident of Florida :)

I didn't know that we have better chances on the special opp hunts though. I learn something new everyday :)

Thanks mossyoakpro!
Lifelong obsessed turkey hunter just living my life for The Lord Jesus Christ :)

Proverbs 3: 5-8

User avatar
mossyoakpro
Posts: 3076
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)
Location: In the woods

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by mossyoakpro » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:30 am

ddturkeyhunter wrote:Mossyoakpro are you a resident or a Nonresident to Florida. The reason I ask is last fall I was going to apply for a special op hunt knowing I wouldn't get one the first year I only wanted it for 2013 any way. But I wanted to get my preference level up but when i went to fill it out it asked for my lic number. I wasn't going to spend 180.00 just to apply. So did I do something wrong or how do you do that. I need to know In a few years or so for sure when I retire I hope to start my turkey season out down there every year. Thanks Mn
I am a non resident....but you can get a resident to appy and have a better chance at drawing a hunt, the tags are transferrable so it can be "Aunt Fannie" who is 99 years old....does'nt matter just so long as they are a resident of FL. The Special Op hunts require no preference points....just $5 per chance. And you not recieve any points as well. The regualar quota hunts I really do not remember since I drew it on the first try by myself.

If you are after an Osceola you cannot go wrong with the Special Op hunts....I would love to hunt Fisheating Creek because that is the holy grail of Osceola Country but that takes a long time and a lot of coin even as a resident.

Good luck!!!
Colossians 3:17

User avatar
mossyoakpro
Posts: 3076
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)
Location: In the woods

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by mossyoakpro » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:32 am

Gobble157 wrote:Im a resident of Florida :)

I didn't know that we have better chances on the special opp hunts though. I learn something new everyday :)

Thanks mossyoakpro!
If I was a resident I would be hunting these special op hunts every year!!! I know some resident guys who have drawn them with just 1 $5 entry!! I would be applying every year to the Fisheating Creek WMA....that is the mecca of Florida birds!!

Good luck and stay safe in your travels!!
Colossians 3:17

User avatar
MidTNHunter
Posts: 1759
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 am
I mostly hunt turkey in: Tennessee
While hunting I carry: Hidden by Mossy Oak everything else is classified intel.
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by MidTNHunter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:45 am

I need to look into this public land info. May have to try and hunt some public land while down there in April.

Cove
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Remington

Re: Public land Osceola

Post by Cove » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:34 pm

The quota apps start in November for FL, you dont have to buy an entire license only a habitat stamp $26 best I can remember.

User avatar
Gobble157
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 pm
I mostly hunt turkey in: All over the US
While hunting I carry: Gun, vest, GPS, and Gods love!
Location: Pensacola, FL

Public land Osceola

Post by Gobble157 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:37 pm

mossyoakpro wrote:
Gobble157 wrote:Im a resident of Florida :)

I didn't know that we have better chances on the special opp hunts though. I learn something new everyday :)

Thanks mossyoakpro!
If I was a resident I would be hunting these special op hunts every year!!! I know some resident guys who have drawn them with just 1 $5 entry!! I would be applying every year to the Fisheating Creek WMA....that is the mecca of Florida birds!!

Good luck and stay safe in your travels!!
Next year it's on! When do I apply for a special opp hunt?
Lifelong obsessed turkey hunter just living my life for The Lord Jesus Christ :)

Proverbs 3: 5-8

Post Reply

Return to “Looking for Osceolas”