Kansas Outfitter

Hunters looking to hunt the Rio Grande wild turkey
Turkey Junkie
I mostly hunt turkey in: Wisconsin
While hunting I carry: Box call,Mouth calls and wet dry slate 835 mossberg and one of my sons.

Kansas Outfitter

Post by Turkey Junkie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 am

Has anyone heard of a outfitter business called Shallow creek outfitters in Salina Kansas? It is run by a guy named Roamina Dave. Any info on the outfitter or for that matter the Salina area turkey population would be greatly appreciated.

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Re: Kansas Outfitter

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

Haven't heard of them. Are you glued down to getting a rio in Kansas or are you open to any other state?
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Turkey Junkie
While hunting I carry: Box call,Mouth calls and wet dry slate 835 mossberg and one of my sons.

Post by Turkey Junkie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am

Have not put any money down yet. What were you thinking?

STEROIDCHICKEN
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Check the king ranch in Texas. It is an awesome place and there is usually no problem in killing birds there. We guide there every year and have great success. Are you closer to Kansas than Texas?

Turkey Junkie

Post by Turkey Junkie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Kansas is 10 hrs and texas is 20 + i was looking at a couple of places down there but one of the guys going is coming down from Minn and that adds a extra day for him right there. i have heard alot of really good things about kings Ranch maybe that will be my whitetail hunt destination.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Sounds great. You will not be disappointed in the whitetail hunting either. Lots of rattling and there is usually several bucks that come running.
Good luck on your rio and if I can ever help you out, give me a shout.

Wesley Phelps
I mostly hunt turkey in: the woods
While hunting I carry: ol tom gear /Mossy Oak/ HeviShot/ 870

Post by Wesley Phelps » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm

I have busted a few beaks really near there! Birds are plentiful. I would try and go last week of April.

Mark K
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Post by Mark K » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 pm

I wouldn't waste my money on an outfitter. There's too much public land that has birds. Most private land is public if you ask. Good luck!

Turkey Junkie

Post by Turkey Junkie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am

That is somthing that i have been considering as well. just figuring out the best areas for Rios would be the key.

dewey
I mostly hunt turkey in: Minnesota
While hunting I carry: Way too much stuff according to my so called friends

Post by dewey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:25 am

Being from Wisconsin hunting Rio Grand turkeys in Kansas is your closest option and Kansas does a great job with their WIHA, walk in hunter access, program. The WIHA program allows the public to hunt private land and the KDWPT marks the areas with signs and also had Google Earth maps of the WIHA land. Just be sure to look at the turkey species distribution map to see where the line is.

Good luck.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

Return to “Looking for Rio Grande”