for those that dont getva quota

Hunters looking to hunt the Osceola wild turkey
Mark K
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Re: for those that dont getva quota

Post by Mark K » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:10 am

Wow, residents get first dibs I guess. I have 3 preference points I believe. I hope next spring is the year!!

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 am

Mark K wrote:Wow, residents get first dibs I guess. I have 3 preference points I believe. I hope next spring is the year!!
Special OP hunts require no preference points to draw...it just costs per chance. I used to draw every year that I applied, and killed birds all but once when I went on a missing spree and missed 3 birds in 2 days :cry:
Colossians 3:17

milkman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Florida
While hunting I carry: Wow a lot less than I used to.

Post by milkman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm

I could be mistaken but I don't think residents get any preference in the quota draw. I'm pretty new to the quota game. The special opportunity hunts are highly sought after and are great hunts if you get drawn. The regular quotas are not all created equal some are very good,others aren't ass good as regular open wmas. The ones I live near are mad houses the first two weeks of the season and then the crowds really drop off.

Mark K
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBEII and my son!

Post by Mark K » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm

I get drawn for regular quotas pretty much every year but haven't been drawn for a special opportunity hunt. Probably because I only spend 100$ on the applications.
If you get drawn every year, then yes, residents get some sort of preference!I've been applying for three years and have yet to get drawn.

milkman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Florida
While hunting I carry: Wow a lot less than I used to.

Post by milkman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Which quotas are you applying for Mark? I dont get drawn for the real good quotas. What I do is on the first phase I put in for the quotas I know I wont get so I can build some preference points. Then the second phase I put in for the lesser sought after quotas that I know I have a pretty good chance of drawing like Lake Delancey in Ocala National Forest or Green Swamp which is quota for the opening weekend then its romp and stomp or Richloam which is quota for the first 9 days then its romp and stomp after that. Then after the second phase each month they have first come first serve where you can pick up some leftover permits but you need a fast computer because they go fast. When I say I get drawn every year I at least get a quota not normally on a highly sought after wma but there are turkeys on them and the pressure is generally pretty low.

Return to “Looking for Osceolas”